Friday, June 20, 2008

Moving and studying

Here are some pics of my trip to Melbourne
A possum came right up to me in the park, so close I thought it was going to claw at my leg! It seemed very friendly ;P Later the next day, while walking at night with Loretta one came up and clawed at my finger! They're like the squirrels of Australia (since Australia doesn't have squirrels ;P)
Southern Cross train station in Melbourne, I love the architecture here!!
Loretta eating her pizza
Anne and Mina with their breakfast meals and my yummy feticcini (sp?) in front of me.
Loretta and Anne with their hot chocolates, this is neat they serve you frothed warm milk with a thing of chocolate that you pour into it. Very yummy!!!
Now, for a little update and the rest of the Melbourne story.

So, I moved on the 17th, it was a bit hectic cause we're in the middle of study week, but it went ok. It is kid of weird to not be in the other house anymore. This is supposably a newer house, but it doesn't really seem like it, mainly cause it's dirtier. :) It's nice to have central air now, although my first night here it got WAY too warm in my room and I had to get up and turn off the heat at like 3 AM. What was the worst part about that (that was the night I moved it) was that I had to get up early to go to work (my first time opening) the next day. I didn't sleep well between my mind running a lot (cause of all of the change) and the heat waking me up. It wasn't too bad. I have been studying in spurts, I think I'll be ok for my tests, I have two on Monday the 23rd of June and one on Friday the 27th, then I'm done. Here they have the last day of classes then a week off for a study break then two weeks of exams, all of my exams worked out to be all in the second week though. It's been nice having a longer amount of time to study, but it'll also be a relief to get them over with. Loretta and I stayed the night at Irene's house in Geelong on Wednesday night cause we took an early train into Melbourne to meet up with Anne and Mina (who we became friends with in Lorne but who we don't see much of cause they go to school on the Burwood campus... Anne Loretta and I all went to Tassie together). It was a really good day, we mostly shopped at op shops all day (like salvation army...) I got a few really good deals! That night Loretta and I went to go see Gaelic Storm (Loretta's favorite band, an Irish band, and the same band who played in the steerage party scene in Titanic) at this hotel. We walked there and the hotel was a lot further than we thought; it didn't help that we missed the street we were supposed to turn on and walked about 5 minutes in the wrong direction. We ended up making it just after their first song. They were really awesome!! Other than the music, the best thing was that they were just great entertainers, very funny! They mingled with the crowd during intermission and at the end as well, we talked a bit to the lead singer (the only one from Ireland) as well as the violinist, from England but who lives in Colorado; she was really excited to hear I was from the US. ;P It was just really great to see that they were normal, really nice, fun people. The lead singer was really funny, when I told him I was from Montana he said he was in Yellowstone and they saw the sign for Montana and he just stepped over the border so he could say he'd been there. ;P Anyway, we got a few autographs before we left, then we found that we had just missed the last tram so we walked quickly back to the city. We thought the last train was at 1:00 AM, we got to the train station in time and found that it was closed. We had to spend the night in one of the 24-hour waiting rooms, you're not allowed to lay down or sleep in them, but people do anyway, but a guard will come in now and then and wake people up. Anyway, it was a bit of a pain in the butt but it was worth it! We took the 5:55 AM train into Geelong then went back to Irene's and slept for 3 hours. I had a study day when I got back with some friends, so the lack of sleep didn't help much in that area, but oh well. ;P I'll write more later about stuff when more of it happens. Gotta study now.

New address:
2-4 Spedding Link
Highton 3216, VIC

No comments: