Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Soccer, money, and fun

Hey all,
So, I have been enjoying soccer practice, and last night Sam (my room mate) let me borrow some of his old soccer shoes, so now I have some to use... for now. My right quad has been bothering me the past two practices, so I have to keep and eye on that. I asked my bosses if I could get some money in advance cause I didn't actually have enough money to catch the bus to come to work anymore, so they very kindly let me have $40, which I plan on reminding them to take out of my pay check. With that money I was also able to get more milk, OJ, bread and cheese! Those are some of my essentials here, as well as rice, but I won't run out of rice for a while yet, a 10 Kg bag goes a long way. :) So, it looks like I don't have work today, so I plan on going to bible study and meeting some of the people there. It should be good. For soccer we are having a game on Saturday, but I'm not sure if I can go or not yet as I don't know if I will have to work, but it's not a big deal if I can't be there (however, it is more desirable obviously). I still don't have shin guards though, so we'll have to see. :) The internet isn't working at the house again, Sachi and I have both been using it, so we have decided that if it doesn't come back soon we'll look into getting internet to share. I am wanting to wait until the end of the month, just in case it just had to be renewed. I had my Physiology midterm on Monday and my Animal Bio today, I think they both went ok, but I didn't get to study as much as I would have liked. I ended up working on Saturday, and I didn't think I would be, and I couldn't make myself study much on Sunday, which was bad. I hate that when you know you really need to study, but you just can't concentrate, so it's essentially useless to try. I think I'll be ok though. I have a presentation to do tomorrow in Australia Today on Aboriginal diversity, that should be good. I have to organize everything tonight, but I have all of my info, so that's good. Oh, and Friday is ANZAC day, so we don't have school as it's a public holiday. It's essentially like our Memorial Day, but it's more specific. It's remembering the soldiers who were sent to Galipoli (Turkey) in WW1, and who were essentially massacred. For my Australia Today class, for those who want to, the teacher is getting people into her car and we'll drive down to Torquay for the dawn service. It'll be an early morning, but I am looking forward to it cause this is something very Australian. :) Oh, and last Thursday we went to Narana, an Aboriginal info center. The guy told us about the different weapons (by the way, you are NOT meant to catch a returning boomerang, that's possible suicide!) and he also played the didgeridoo. I am a little torn cause I really want to get a didgeridoo, but they are a man's instrument and women were only allowed to play them (possibly, only in some tribes, and it's not a for sure thing if this is true) if they were having fertility problems. As a didgeridoo symbolizes a penis is was sort of view like if a women played one, she would get pregnant. Anyway, I still want one and want to learn how to circular breathe (I'm working on that now, and am doing alright) cause it's just such a neat instrument! Anyway, we got to go outside and throw some boomerangs (small touristy-sized ones, not real ones) and then we got to try some kangaroo and emu. both were very good (I couldn't tell the difference) but it tastes a lot like venison, so a taste I am very used to. :) I would like to have more kangaroo! ;P Well, I'm going to go and get a bit to eat, talk to you all later!

No comments: