Saturday, February 16, 2008

Getting settled in

So, I have tried uploading more pictures for you all to look at, but for some reason they are not taking. Oh well, I will keep trying. So I am getting more settled in here, I am still living out of my suitcase, but Heath says he'll get me stuff this week. I am very excited to not live out of my suitcase anymore!!! Valentine's Day was nice because I got to talk to David for a while (we do most everyday) on Skype with webcams. It was also really hard too, it's most difficult to be here when I am doing nothing because I have a lot of time to think about how much I miss him. Yesterday was much better though, I did some more cleaning, and later in the day Sachi, the other girl, moved in; she's Australian too, which is nice. I read some more in "The Man in the Iron Mask," which is absolutely nothing like the movie by the way, and which I am almost done with. At about 3:35 I left to start walking to Deakin (I had to be there at 5, which I later found was 5:30) but I stopped at the bike shop on my way just to see what they had in the way of prices. The cheapest thing they had there was like $260 and over, so I think I will try K-Mart cause they have some for $80-$100. I wasn't sure how long it would take me to walk to Deakin, so that's why I left so early, it ended up taking about 45 minutes, luckily I brought my book along. While I was waiting one of the other exchange students came up to me (his name is Cooper from Wisconsin) and we chatted for a while. Once we all got together, it was interesting because three of them were from the same area near Chicago (2 from the same school in Wisconsin and one just outside of Chicago) and there were two from the same area in California. Another girl, from Massachusetts had a click with the girl from Wisconsin, so in other words, the girl from Minnesota who goes to school in Hawaii and I were kind of outsiders since everyone else had something in common and that's what they would talk about. I also felt a little out of place because they talked mostly about either their areas, or how their trip on the plane was. I had already been here for 2 weeks, so I couldn't relate to how tired they were and such. Anyway, we were driven out into Geelong and given a little drive tour, then stopped at a place to do any shopping we needed, then went to a Chinese restaurant. They all wanted to hang out and drink after, but I was getting a ride back to my house (so I didn't have to walk home along in the dark, which I wouldn't have done anyway) so I didn't stay with them. I don't know what it is but I don't seem to fit in very well with designated groups of Americans (like when I went to Thailand) but I am glad that I have the option to meet other people too this time. When I got home everyone was watching footy (Aussie rools football) on TV and Sachi was waiting for her friends. They showed up (2 girls and 2 boys came, one of the boys was from Massachusetts and had been an exchange student here a few years ago and was back visiting, but only had like 5 days left of his visit) and asked me if I wanted to go out with them. I did, they were great fun, I went to a pub called Nash with them that had crazy, loud music. We got some famous fried food that the window for it only really opens at hours where drunk people are wandering around, and then went to another pub but only the boys went it (it was a $10 cover). Then we drove home. I really enjoyed their company, and it was much better, in my opinion, than if I had stayed with the others. I like hanging out with Australians more because I can hang out with Americans in America! I always write such long posts, I am sorry. ;P Oh, one other bit of information, when driving once off your p-plates (learners plates, which you have for 3 years) you can drive with a 0.05 alcohol level (on p-plates it's nothing 0.00). Well, that's all for now!

1 comment:

Dave said...

I love you so much Cassie. I'm not able to send any emails for some reason but I wanted to let you know that I'm having a great time, I love you, and I can't wait to see you. Sorry for the long comment, but it is great because I get to see my Nephews Matthew (18 months) and Michael (4), Matthew I've never seen before and Michael not since he was a rugrat.

Love, Dave