Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Latest happenings

So, dinner with Christine's parents was great fun. They had some friends over, a 60-ish year old couple, who were a hoot. Bob, the husband, was especially hysterical, I loved him. On Sunday Christine and Ash drove me to the Ballarat Wildlife Park, it was good, they had free roaming kangaroos! Right when I walked through the door one came up to me and took a bite out of my map, I then had a bit of a time keeping the map away from him, he kept pawing my bad trying to get at it. ;P It was cute! For the record, kangaroos are really soft (grey ones anyway, I didn't get to touch the Red ones cause they were in a paddock). I got to pet a koala too, their fur feels a bit like rabbit fur, very soft. They had most of the native Australian wildlife, I didn't get a good look at the wombats as they are more nocturnal and were in their little holes, so I could only see their outline. They had tasmanian devils, but I couldn't see any. They fed the alligators, which was really neat, but crowded with people, and they fed the quolls too. Anyway, long story short, I had a good time, but it would have been a lot better if I could have gone with someone, as it is I was by myself. Oh well. I am moving into my house on Thursday morning, Christine and Ash are going away for the weekend and as they are staying at a friend's house for a bit I can't come because they didn't count on me when they made the plans. So, I am getting on the 6:30 AM bus to Geelong, which gets in at 8:00 AM. The university will send someone to come get me at the train station at 9:30 AM and they will take me to my house. With the short notice Heath, the owner, hasn't had time to get my room fully furnished yet, but he will, in the mean time I am going to borrow an air mattress from Ash's parents. I can't wait until it's fully furnished and I am able to put all of my stuff away permanently for the year. So, someone at the university mentioned getting the exchange students together for a dinner on the 15th (that is the official arrival date for foreign students), I am really looking forward to that so I can get to know some of the students. Then our beach orientation in Lorne is the 18-20th, that should also be really good for meeting people. I really can't wait to get out of this slump and start a routine with classes and such. Anyway, I have just been hanging out and talking to friends and family on the internet these last few days until I leave. I hope I will be able to get on the internet asap when I get there cause, I have to admit, it's kind of my lifeline at this point, as I don't really know anyone except Christine here. :)

No comments: